By Robert Paul Lamb,G. R. Thompson
- An enormously broad-ranging and available Companion to the research of yank fiction of the post-civil battle interval and the early 20th century Brings jointly 29 essays by way of most sensible students, each one of which offers a synthesis of the simplest study and provides an unique perspective
- Divided into sections on old traditions and genres, contexts and subject matters, and significant authors
- Covers a mix of canonical and the non-canonical subject matters, authors, literatures, and significant approaches
- Explores cutting edge themes, reminiscent of ecological literature and ecocriticism, children’s literature, and the impression of Darwin on fiction
Read or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1865 - 1914 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Puerto Rican writers residing within the usa and writing in English locate themselves astride cultures, languages, and methods of lifestyles. in addition they locate units of prejudice: racial, cultural, and linguistic bias within the usa; and rejection from Puerto Rican society. during this shiny selection of interviews, Hernandez offers photographs of 14 of the main widespread Puerto Rican writers dwelling within the usa and provides the 1st likelihood for them to talk at once approximately their lives and their literary culture.
Whereas literary utopias depict an excellent society and mirror an confident trust within the triumph of humanity and govt, dystopias current a society marked by means of ache brought on by human and political evils. This e-book bargains a close learn of a number of literary dystopias and analyzes them as social feedback.
This examine, the 1st of its variety in English, units out to examine literature as a sort of social verbal exchange by means of contemplating advancements in literary conception and perform within the German Democratic Republic within the Honecker period. awareness makes a speciality of the alterations within the discourses of literary thought and literary perform in a semi-public sphere managed through an more and more ossified political discourse.
Harold okay. Bush's carrying on with Bonds with the useless examines the profound transfiguration that the loss of life of a kid wrought at the literary paintings of nineteenth-century American writers. Taking as his topics Harriet Beecher Stowe, Abraham Lincoln, William Dean Howells, Mark Twain, and W. E. B. Du Bois, Bush demonstrates how the dying of a kid turned the defining "before-and-after second" of their lives as adults and as artists.
- Toni Wolff’s Forms: She Moves In Circles: Vital Links to the Archaic Mind
- Subjectivity (The New Critical Idiom)
- Forms and effects of violence in "The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao"
Extra resources for A Companion to American Fiction 1865 - 1914 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)