By Claudia L. Johnson,Clara Tuite
- Provides the main finished and up to date array of Austen scholarship
- Functions either as a scholarly reference and as a survey of the main leading edge speculative advancements within the box of Austen studies
- Engages at size with altering contexts and cultures of reception from the 19th to the twenty-first centuries
Read or Download A Companion to Jane Austen (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Puerto Rican writers dwelling within the usa and writing in English locate themselves astride cultures, languages, and methods of taking a look at existence. in addition they locate units of prejudice: racial, cultural, and linguistic bias within the usa; and rejection from Puerto Rican society. during this brilliant choice of interviews, Hernandez provides snap shots of 14 of the main well known Puerto Rican writers dwelling within the usa and provides the 1st likelihood for them to talk at once approximately their lives and their literary culture.
Whereas literary utopias depict a terrific society and replicate an positive trust within the triumph of humanity and govt, dystopias current a society marked by way of agony attributable to human and political evils. This ebook deals an in depth research of numerous literary dystopias and analyzes them as social feedback.
This examine, the 1st of its style in English, units out to examine literature as a sort of social verbal exchange by means of contemplating advancements in literary idea and perform within the German Democratic Republic within the Honecker period. cognizance specializes in the alterations within the discourses of literary thought and literary perform in a semi-public sphere managed by way of an more and more ossified political discourse.
Harold ok. Bush's carrying on with Bonds with the lifeless examines the profound transfiguration that the loss of life of a kid wrought at the literary paintings of nineteenth-century American writers. Taking as his topics Harriet Beecher Stowe, Abraham Lincoln, William Dean Howells, Mark Twain, and W. E. B. Du Bois, Bush demonstrates how the dying of a kid turned the defining "before-and-after second" of their lives as adults and as artists.
- Old English Prose: Passio and Vita: Two Concepts of a Saint’s Life in Anglo-Saxon England
- Emigration and Caribbean Literature (New Caribbean Studies)
- Evil Gods and Reckless Saviours: Adaptation and Appropriation in Late Twentieth-Century Jesus Novels
- Liminality, Mimicry, Hybridity and Ambivalent in Literary Speculations of Homi K. Bhabha: Homo Bhabha's Literary Theory
- The Cambridge Companion to Utopian Literature (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Baudelaire on Poe: Critical Papers
Extra info for A Companion to Jane Austen (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)