By Ian C. Storey,Arlene Allan
This newly up-to-date moment version positive aspects wide-ranging, systematically prepared scholarship in a concise advent to old Greek drama, which flourished from the 6th to 3rd century BC.
- Covers all 3 genres of historic Greek drama – tragedy, comedy, and satyr-drama
- Surveys the extant paintings of Aeschylus, Sophokles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and Menander, and contains entries on ‘lost’ playwrights
- Examines contextual concerns resembling the origins of dramatic paintings varieties; the conventions of the gala's and the theater; drama’s dating with the worship of Dionysos; political dimensions of drama; and the way to learn and watch Greek drama
- Includes single-page synopses of each surviving old Greek play
Read or Download A Guide to Ancient Greek Drama (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
During this pioneering learn, the 1st of its style, Galit Noga-Banai analyses silver reliquaries adorned with Christian figurative topics. She bargains a clearer and extra certain photo of the beginnings of the cult of relics, which have been a vital asset to the Church in its institution of pilgrimage centres and native hagiographic historical past websites, first in Italy and later in different places round Europe and North Africa.
During this distinct research of the representations of Pasiphae, Ariadne, and Phaedra in Latin poetry, Rebecca Armstrong investigates either the literary heritage of the myths (the Greek roots, the interactions among Roman types) and their cultural resonance. as well as shut readings of the main remedies of every woman's tale (in Catullus, Virgil, Ovid, and Seneca), she bargains prolonged thematic explorations of the significance of reminiscence, wildness, and morality inthe myths.
How do we make feel of the cutting edge constitution of Euripidean drama? And what political function did tragedy play within the democracy of classical Athens? those questions are typically thought of to be together specific, yet this publication exhibits that they could in basic terms be correctly responded jointly. delivering a brand new method of the aesthetics and politics of Greek tragedy, Victoria Wohl argues that the poetic type of Euripides' drama constitutes a method of political notion.
This learn strains the family tree of Saint Perpetua’s tale with a simple but formerly neglected query at its heart: How used to be Perpetua remembered and to what makes use of was once that reminiscence positioned? the most well known and commemorated saints from two hundred CE to the 13th century, the tale of Saint Perpetua used to be retold in dramatically diversified varieties around the eu center a long time.
- Juvenal: Satire 6 (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics)
- Aristophanes and the Cloak of Comedy: Affect, Aesthetics, and the Canon
- Persians, Seven against Thebes, and Suppliants (Johns Hopkins New Translations from Antiquity)
- Tacitus Annals I: A Selection: 1
- Mediterranean Identities in the Premodern Era: Entrepôts, Islands, Empires (Transculturalisms, 1400–1700)
- English Cursive Book Hands, 1250-1500
Extra resources for A Guide to Ancient Greek Drama (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature)