By Jeffrey Jerome Cohen,Bonnie Wheeler
Read or Download Becoming Male in the Middle Ages (New Middle Ages) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
During this pioneering research, the 1st of its style, Galit Noga-Banai analyses silver reliquaries adorned with Christian figurative subject matters. She bargains a clearer and extra exact photograph of the beginnings of the cult of relics, that have been a vital asset to the Church in its institution of pilgrimage centres and native hagiographic history websites, first in Italy and later elsewhere round Europe and North Africa.
During this precise research of the representations of Pasiphae, Ariadne, and Phaedra in Latin poetry, Rebecca Armstrong investigates either the literary background of the myths (the Greek roots, the interactions among Roman models) and their cultural resonance. as well as shut readings of the most important remedies of every woman's tale (in Catullus, Virgil, Ovid, and Seneca), she bargains prolonged thematic explorations of the significance of reminiscence, wildness, and morality inthe myths.
How do we make experience of the leading edge constitution of Euripidean drama? And what political position did tragedy play within the democracy of classical Athens? those questions tend to be thought of to be together specific, yet this e-book exhibits that they could in basic terms be appropriately responded jointly. delivering a brand new method of the aesthetics and politics of Greek tragedy, Victoria Wohl argues that the poetic kind of Euripides' drama constitutes a method of political inspiration.
This examine lines the family tree of Saint Perpetua’s tale with a simple but formerly missed query at its middle: How was once Perpetua remembered and to what makes use of used to be that reminiscence positioned? the most well known and honored saints from 2 hundred CE to the 13th century, the tale of Saint Perpetua was once retold in dramatically diversified types around the eu heart a while.
- Performance and Culture in Plato's Laws
- Life and Letters in the Ancient Greek World (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
- Bodily and Spiritual Hygiene in Medieval and Early Modern Literature: Explorations of Textual Presentations of Filth and Water (Fundamentals of Medieval and Early Modern Culture)
- Way Down Yonder in the Indian Nation: Writings from America's Heartland (Stories and Storytellers Series)
- Greek Lyric, Tragedy, and Textual Criticism: Collected Papers
- Medieval Boundaries: Rethinking Difference in Old French Literature (The Middle Ages Series)
Extra info for Becoming Male in the Middle Ages (New Middle Ages)